Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:14:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: newfs create to little inodes

> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:07:30 +0300
> From: Eugen Konkov <kes-kes@yandex.ru>
> Subject: Re[2]: newfs create to little inodes
>

> GL> On 4/16/12 10:01 AM, Eugen Konkov wrote:
> >>
> >> Does newfs always must create sufficient count of inodes? or I
> >> must supply some addition options when creating FS?
> >>
> >> #df -ih Filesystem size   used  avail  capacity iused ifree %iused
> >> mounted on /dev/ad0s1a 4.9G   2.1G  2.4G   47%   331k    0     100%
> >> /mnt/disk1
> >>

> GL> Hello Eugen,
>
> GL> Yes, please check the -i option of newfs:
> GL> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=newfs
>
> GL> Hope that helps,
> GL> Greg
>
> unhappy defaults for disks about ~5G capacity
> because of this default create only 350k inodes
> installig system and extract ports eats about 95% of inodes =(
>
> but about 50% disk space are free yet

You may want to look at what kind of a filesystem you are using.
With a 'standard' Berkeley 'FFS' I get 540+k inodes on a 4 gig partiton,
with a standard 'newfs'. I get a virtually identical 'density' on a 7+gig
partition (941k inodes).

You show roughly -half- that inode density, which implies different
filesystem characteristics, or a newfs-equvalent with non-default
parameters.