Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:13:17 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Joseph Koshy <jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFR: fseek<0 + feof error (with fix)

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 04:28:48 -0700, Joseph Koshy wrote:

> Allowing negative file offsets for character special files is not actually
> prohibited by the standards, IIRC, since this behaviour is termed
> 'implementation dependent'.  Perhaps someone with more standards expertise
> than I have could clarify.

Yet once, to make the difference more visible. What POSIX says about
lseek():

[EINVAL]        The whence argument is not a proper value,
		or the resulting file offset would
		be negative for a regular file, block special
		file, or directory.

And now what about fseek{o}():

[EINVAL]        The whence argument is invalid. The resulting
		file-position indicator would be set to a negative value.

i.e. for all cases.

BTW, for example I have OS/2 gcc result for test program I post and
fseek() is POSIXed there, not so broken as ours.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/