Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:22:44 +0100
From:      Robert Downes <outpost_593@bobulous.net>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named sandbox trouble

Brian Reichert wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 04:59:35AM +0100, Robert Downes wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to setup BIND so that my machine understands its own hostname
>>(because mySQL refuses to install because the hostname appears invalid
>>and the --force option seems to do nothing), and because it would be
>>helpful generally.
>>

>This doesn't answer your question, as I don't run BIND, but couldn't
>you just put an entry in /etc/hosts?

I have an entry for my machine's IP address and the address of my router
in /etc/hosts, but still I get complaints.

>And: you mention MySQL --force option 'seeming to do nothing':  I
>have used this option when I'm building from source, and it worked
>for me in the past.  What symptoms are you seeing?

I type make install --force, but still the process exits with error code
1, complaining of an invalid hostname, despite my /etc/hosts file.

I was hoping that running a local name server would cheer mySQL up, but
I just keep getting this error with /var/run/ndc.
--
Bob