Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:12:31 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "Arnvid Karstad" <arnvid@karstad.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 4.6.2 and aic7899 - fatal trap 12.

From: "Arnvid Karstad" <arnvid@karstad.org>

> Seems alot of people have been bugged with similar problems in FreeBSD
> 4.6.2...  Seems most people are going back to 4.6..

I've managed to stabilise my 4.6.2 - so far anyway.  I am now at 2 days
6 hours :)

> Where could one find the patch?? Would it be available from cvs/cvsup?

Here's an extract from an email from Greg Lehey to me last week:
---
Hmm.  This shows a known crash in Vinum.  I've never been able to
reproduce it, so it's possible that it's I/O failure related.  It's
very likely that it's related to this bug report:

This report contains a patch.  Could you try that, please, and see if
it solves the problem.  I'm particularly interested in crashes with
the kind of backtrace in
http://docs.perimeter.co.za/crash/20020823_1623_d:
---

I used that patch, rebuilt the vinum module, and now it seems to be
stable.  Greg says he is interested in this problem, so if you have been
able to get a crash dump perhaps you should contact him to see if there
is anything else he can learn from your situation.

BTW, have a look in the archives last week for the -questions
and -hackers lists, and the subject lines "! Fatal trap 12: System Crash
twice in last 2 days" and "Kernel Panic = System crash 8 times in 4
days".  You will probably be able to learn a lot about your situation by
following those threads.

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.
    http://www.perimeter.co.za