Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 20:58:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA)
Cc:        kline@thought.org (Gary Kline), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: mouse question....

According to Kazutaka YOKOTA:

> [...]
> >	This is getting stranger and stranger.  I just bought a new
> >	Logitech mouse and have it plugged directly into the COM1
> >	port.
> >
> >	The results are the same as before for trying your (4) above,
> >	and
> >
> >moused -p /dev/cuaa0 -d -f -t mouseman
> >moused: port: /dev/cuaa0  interface: unknown  type: mouseman  model: generic
> >moused: received char 0x0
> >
> >	for the above.  The ``received char 0x0'' only happened one time.
>
> When you moved the mouse, did you see any further messages?

	No, nothing; and upon trying the moused command again,
	there were no debug messages at all.

> >	Does this suggest anything to you? Or anyone else on the list?
>
> Is it a "plain" MouseMan?  Is it a serial model?  If it is a
> PS/2-port-only model or a PS/2-port and USB model, you cannot put it
> to a serial port.
>
> If it is a plain MouseMan (3 button mouse without a wheel),
> find a label on the belly of the mouse.  You sould find the model #
> and description. If it says "Serial" or "Serial-MousePort", then
> you can plug it to a serial port.  If it says "MousePort", it is
> a PS/2 model.
>
> Once you are sure that it is a serial mouse, try the following
> command ("auto" instead of "mouseman").
>
> moused -p /dev/cuaa0 -d -f -t auto

	This is a "three button" serial mouse.  I'll try the
	auto -t type.

	Yes!   But still bizarre.  Let's see if I can do it from
	an xterm here.  Save typing.  --yes.

sage#  moused -p /dev/cuaa0 -d -f -t auto

moused: PnP COM device rev 1.0 probe...
moused: modem status 0603
moused: alternate probe...
moused: cannot determine mouse type on /dev/cuaa0
moused: port: /dev/cuaa0  interface: unknown  type: unknown  model: generic
sage#

	Does this suggest that there is a modem on /dev/cuaa0?  I
	thought the modem was yanked weeks or months ago.   Does the
	status 0603 indicate a bad port, perhaps?

	gary

   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix