Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:40:49 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        Chris P <ethos10@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is X Windows normally run on Servers

Chris P wrote:

> "Tried sending this before but wouldn't work so seeing if hotmail will
> get there"
>
> New to FBSD and trying to get my head around everything. Set up XServer
> but on next reboot got KDENABIO failed and fixed by setting the security
> level to 0, which did the trick. Just wondered what the implications of
> a security level being set to 0 when setting up a web, mail server etc.
> or if you would even set up Xserver in a server situation.  Is it just
> used for users in a desktop enviroment?
>
> Regards
> ChrisP

Its hard to say whats right and wrong, but I would personally
never setup X on a server.
I see no need for it, and the impact on stability and performance
is noticable. The way I see it, servers should do their job,
nothing else, and displaying fancy GUI's and nice colors is not
on any of my servers todo list.