Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 1996 08:36:10 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, stable@FreeBSD.org, committers@FreeBSD.org, scanner@webspan.net
Subject:   Re: Status of -stable

> > Well, Hmmm I LIKED the -stable tree.
>
> No question. If you don't actually have to be the one maintaining it,
> it's great! :-)

Well, I liked -stable too!  Are you sure you're not over-reacting to
the recent nightmare?  That pesky post-traumatic stress syndrome thing?
Hey, in time, the night sweats and flashbacks will pass. :-)

It seems to me that -stable wasn't a big source of problems until this
mega-commit thing happened.  OK, so, we've learned that you can't do
wholesale merges of every little thing into -stable.  Fine.

But what was the problem with the way we used it up until then?  My view
of it was that, when a person would commit a bug fix to -current, he
would consider whether it should also go into -stable.  Depending on the
nature of the change, it might go into -stable immediately, a few weeks
later, or never.

It's a bit of a pain to merge change into -stable, granted, because
you have to think about each file, and consider what should get
merged and what should not.  But isn't making judgements about
individual cases an essential element of a so-called stable release?