Date:      Sat, 08 May 2010 15:59:42 +0300
From:      Murat Balaban <murat@enderunix.org>
To:        Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Intel 10Gb

Much of the FreeBSD networking stack has been made parallel in order to
cope with high packet rates at 10 Gig/sec operation.

I've seen good numbers (near 10 Gig) in my tests involving TCP/UDP
send/receive. (latest Intel driver).

As far as BPF is concerned, above statement does not hold true,
since there is some work that needs to be done here in terms
of BPF locking and parallelism. My tests show that there
is a high lock contention around "bpf interface lock", resulting
in input errors at high packet rates and with many bpf devices.

I belive GSoC 2010 project, Multiqueue BPF, is a milestone for this:
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/ideas.html#p-multiqbpf

I'm also working on this problem myself and will post a diff whenever
I have something usable.

--
Murat
http://www.enderunix.org/murat/

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 10:01 +0100, Vincent Hoffman