Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 16:18:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kulp <David_Kulp@affymetrix.com>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Sierra Wireless PCMCIA AirCard for Ricochet 128k network

I just picked up the AirCard 400 made by Sierra Wireless instead of buying
the Merlin.  It's newly released to work on the Ricochet network.  With
the Windows driver it looks like a NIC card -- not a modem.  (The
performance under Windows in most urban areas is really quite impressive
-- although working on a train or other moving vehicle in the san
francisco bay area definitely ebbs more than flows.)

The fact that it acts like a NIC and not a modem made me think that this
device had a rosier future for unix laptops.  I think I was very wrong,
but I'd appreciate any follow-up regarding either any experience with
Sierra's cards or knowledge of any efforts for AirCard driver development
for any unix.

thanks!
-d