Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:49:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freeBSD.org
Subject:   auto kernel config program (doconfig)

Ok, I have hacked up an initial 'doconfig' which I just used and it works.
Go ahead, grab it, beat it up, give me suggestions, check my code (it was
a quickie :b )  I did do my best to keep the same 'feel' as Digital Unix's
"doconfig".  Anybody else know of other OS's that use a 'doconfig'? Let me
know what it needs.

I also include 'autokernconf' which is called by 'doconfig' in the right
situation.  This program will startup an 'interactive' kernel config
program (sorta like the perl Configure--it'll ask you a bunch of questions
you have no clue about so most of the time you'll just use the defaults).
However, for now, it just does a sed on the GENERIC kernel config and
changes the ident.  I already have a partially expanded autokernconf, but
if anybody else has started on something of this sort perhaps we can
collaborate?  My experience with what each option means is rather
limited...

This aside.. You can get this alpha alpha 'doconfig' and 'autokernconf'
at:

    ftp://ftp.cold.org/pub/brandon/doconfig.tar.gz

After much internal strife I did end up coding it in perl4, and I must
say..perl4 sucks :)

-Brandon Gillespie