Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:52:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Murdock <fee@tetrahome.tetranet.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: resolving ips?

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 09:04 PM 9/23/98 -0500, Mark Murdock wrote:
> >Yet another question for freebsd-stable network experts:
> >
> >When I try to telnet to an ip address, my system attempts to contact my
> >name servers in my /etc/resolv.conf file.  I was actually unable to telnet
> >to an ip due to this when my ipfw configuration was blocking udp on 53.
>
> Just give it time... It will work eventually. The system you are trying to
> telnet to is trying to lookup the name of the host you are coming from so
> it can log it.

I have to disagree here.  My name server is fully functional (as it
remains outside of my local network) and could respond to reverse lookups
without problem.  I was watching the packets on my ppp interface, and
what I was seeing was MY machine making DNS requests to MY DNS server.  I
was blocking these requests of course, so it was hanging, but it was the
fact that it even consulted a domain name server that was interesting me.

> >Why consult the resolver?  Why not just make your connection based on the
> >kernel routing tables?
>
> I am not sure what you mean by the routing table in this case.. What you
> are describing is a DNS timeout...If you want it to work faster in this
> situation, then change /etc/host.conf to list hosts first, then bind and
> add the necessary information in your /etc/hosts file.

To clarify the routing table issue, I'll explain what I meant by that.
If I type "telnet 10.1.1.1", I would not expect telnet to consult a DNS
server to do a reverse lookup on that IP.  I would expect it to consult
the routing table, decide that 10.1.1.1 was either on a local subnet,
through a remote gateway, or through the default route, and route my TCP
SYN packet accordingly.  By mentioning routing, I only meant that to ME,
that was the logical step after receiving an IP address.  Had I give it a
host name, I would have EXPECTED it to consult DNS, and then route to the
resulting IP accordingly.  I hope this sheds some light on what I meant.

I just think it's odd that an application like telnet does a reverse
lookup on an IP.  I would rather see those applications work independant
of DNS when given an IP, but perhaps that's not going to happen.

Mark