Date:      Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:32:11 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Paul Hamilton <paulh@bdug.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using fping to monitor internet connection status

Paul Hamilton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to monitor a number of IP addresses, so that if they ALL go down (say
> three IP's), then that is a pretty good indication that my server has lost
> internet connectivity.  [snip]
> Any idea's on a ping tool or simple script?

Your test would be a little simpler if you just test one IP address:
your ISP's upstream router. Its reachability is quite definitive re:
whether your ISP link is up or down.

Even it it's assigned dynamically by DHCP, you should be able to
write a script that pulls that IP, pings it a few times, and checks
the result. No special tools necessarily required.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348