Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:03:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Nader Turki <nturki@adelphia.net>
Cc:        Janet Sullivan <eliyanah@techie.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TNT2

Hi Nader,

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Nader Turki wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> I reinstalled FreeBSD few times and couldn't get it to work.

You don't need to reinstall to change XFree settings.  Just run
/stand/sysinstall from root and look for the options for Xfree
configuration.

> I have this Card:
> Cardexpert TM64 Nvidia Riva TNT2 4xAGP 32MB VGA

	I have that exact card but with 16MB memory.  The M64 is actually
different than the ultra vanta, but my dmesg also incorrectly says ultra
vanta. I can only get the card working with 800x600 and 16 bit color.
XFree86 setup, the graphical program only works in that setting for me.
Try picking only that combination in Xfree86setup then test it.  If not,
try different combinations one at a time.

> And I think my other Problem is the Monitor, It's a ViewSonic PF970.

	I believe the monitor should work perfectly as long as you know
the exact vertical and horizontal scan rate ranges for it.  Somebody
correct me if I am wrong, but I hope that is the way it is.

> Hope one of you guys can help me and tell me which settings should I choose.
> Now I feel stupid 'cause I sold my old PC. I had an old 8MB card on it. I
> used to SuperProbe and use the XF86Config script.

	Apparently nvidia does not do a good job of giving out
documentation to their cards so the drivers for their cards are not the
best.  Possibly as a result, superprobe does not work on this card.

	Does anybody have Xfree 3.3.6 with this card running at a higher
resolution?  I was once able to get a higher resolution to run using the
text configure program instead of the graphical setup.(I think
1280x1024) but the edges were warped beyond what my monitor could adjust
for (it has a lot of adjustments for shape and things.)
	The monitor is a Proview 19inch that I got for $200.  Is it
possible that it is the monitor is causing the problems or that its manual
was incorrect when specifying the scan rates?  Unfortunately I don't have
another monitor I can use to test the card at high resolutions.
	Even though the card was only $80, and I could get another one, I
want to get this one to work.  It is frustrating to have a card and a
monitor that can do 1600x1200 but be stuck at 800x600

						Thanks a lot,
							Tim