Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:34:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dennis Ostrovsky <denis.ostrovsky@yale.edu>
To:        GVB <gvb@tns.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compat_2_2

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, GVB wrote:

> One is the fact that when I go to /usr/src and do a make install compat_2_2
> it fails on all three machines in three different places. Someone had

Why did you do that? The correct way to go from 2.2.8 to 3.1 is "make
upgrade". You don't need to make compat_2_2, that's taken care of for you
during the upgrade.

> The second problem is when I went from 2.2.8 -> 3.1 as soon I was done with
> the upgrade and rebooted the machine with a new kernel my old master.passwd
> files did NOT work.  It seems that the default encryption method has
> changed?  Because on a 3.0 -> 3.1 upgrade the passwd files worked fine..

Not sure why that is, I didn't experience this. Were you using kerberos or
something with 2.2.8?

Dennis

    Dennis Ostrovsky ** Department of Chemistry ** Yale University

E-mail: den@master.chem.yale.edu     WWW: http://pantheon.yale.edu/~do33