Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:59:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys" <rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu (User RDKEYS Robert D. Keys)
Subject:   QIC-02 Archive tape not found after boot --- why?

I am trying to bring up an Archive QIC-02 tape drive on 300H/IRQ5 as is
in the generic current 3.0 kernel.  The drive is polled on boot, but it is
not found after boot.  Mt asks for another device and errors out that
it is not configured (nsomethingorother device).  Tar won't directly
access it.  I tried remaking the device wt0 from ``sh MAKEDEV wt0'',
but that did not help either.  The manpages from mt seem to be corrupted.
I would have thought an ``mt -f /dev/wt0 retension'' should have spun it
up correctly.  The MAKEDEV wt0 did not apparently make a device in /dev.

Sysinstall seems to find it correctly, but I need to get it up to tar off
a set of tapes for a new install.

Any suggestions are appreciated as to what to twiddle to get it working
as a usable tarring device.

Thanks.... almost there.....

Bob Keys
rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu