Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:40:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jonny Pearson <jpearson@rex.lib.uci.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   not recognizing my 48 megs of RAM

I'm new at this.  Please be patient...

When FreeBSD 2.2.5 boots up it only recognizes 16M of RAM (we've installed
48M). I went into the kernel file GENERIC and added a line:

  options   MAXMEM=49152

Apparently that is not enough.

I found a webpage (http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ87.html#87) at
freebsd.org that explains how to configure the kernel:

  "... you need either the complete srcdist or, at the minimum, the
   kerndist loaded on your system.  Once you have the kerndist or srcdist
   loaded, do the following as root:

      1.cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
      2.cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
      3.vi MYKERNEL
      4.config MYKERNEL
      5.cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
      6.make depend
      7.make all
      8.make install
      9.reboot

I'm having a problem with the first part.  What is the "srcdist" or the
"kerndist"??  And where do I get one??  It says that I need to "load" one
of the two before I can go through the nine steps.

Please help!!

Jonny

Jonny Pearson
Interactive Learning Center