Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:02:34 +0000
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   wireless ath - unable to get scan results

This is my first wireless attempt. Please don't shoot
me for asking obvious questions.

This is on FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT sparc64

I've TL-WN851N PCI wireless card.

	I see in dmesg:

ath0: <Atheros 9280> mem 0x110000-0x11ffff at device 3.0 on pci0
ath0: [ITHREAD]
ath0: AR9280 mac 128.2 RF5133 phy 13.0

	and with pciconf -lv

ath0@pci0:0:3:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x2091168c chip=0x0029168c rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
    class      = network

	and with ifconfig

# ifconfig ath0
ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
        ether 00:27:19:e1:b7:d9
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
        status: no carrier
#

	Does this look ok so far?

	Following the manual I try to scan for available
	networks, but get this message immediately, so
	it doesn't look like it's searching for anything

# ifconfig ath0 scan
ifconfig: unable to get scan results
#

	I've in kernel config file:

device          ath             # Atheros pci/cardbus NIC's
device          ath_hal         # Atheros HAL (Hardware Access Layer)
device          ath_rate_sample # SampleRate tx rate control for ath
options         AH_SUPPORT_AR5416       # enable AR5416 tx/rx descriptors
device          wlan
device          wlan_ccmp       # 802.11 CCMP support
device          wlan_tkip       # 802.11 TKIP support
device          wlan_wep        # 802.11 WEP support

	and also this firewall line

options         IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK

	but I've no /etc/ipf.rules yet

	Perhaps it's my firewall that's blocking everything?

many thanks
anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht