Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 14:59:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        electmus@nb.sympatico.ca (Doug Richardson)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: re: FreeBSD installation problems....

Doug Richardson wrote,

This is usually due to a misconfiguration of the devices on the
secondary IDE controller. Make sure that if the CDROM is alone on the
second controller that it is configured to be the master. Some other
OSes will let you get away with not having the devices configured
properly, but it does violate the standard and FreeBSD will not put up
with it.

There have also been problems with IDE CDROMs still not working
correctly when they apparently are properly confiured. This problem is
specific to a few models. If your CDROM appears to be configured
properly, search the FreeBSD-questions mail archive at,

  http://www.freebsd.org/search/search.html

If you can't find the answers you need, write back to
freebsd-questions with more detailed information about your setup
(CDROM manufacturer and model being the most important for you).