Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 13:57:19 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chrooted bind  out of the box

On 6 Jan 2002, at 17:26, Matthew Whelan boldly uttered:

> 06/01/2002 14:27:14, "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com> wrote:
> >Apparently there is some problem with bash being incorporated in the
> >base system because it's GPL I think.  Nonetheless, I think there
> >might be some creative alternatives - like a port configured to
> >compile statically which installs in /bin. (although you'd have to
> >manually upgrade it periodically to keep it up to date with various
> >libraries I guess)
> >
> >Waitasec.. does this line in /usr/ports/shells/bash2/Makefile mean
> >that by default it's configured to statically-compile?
> >
> >CONFIGURE_ENV=  LDFLAGS=-static
> >

> >I didn't think that was the default..
>
> I didn't have to do anything special to get:
>
> b0b@ericnernie$ file /bin/bash
> /bin/bash: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
> statically linked, stripped
>
> So it looks like it is the default. AFAIK, this has been the case since my
> first install, which was just before 4.4-PRE came out.
>
> Cheers,
> Matthew

Hm, you're right.. I do recall this discussion coming up on a few
occasions (it's also discussed either in the FreeBSD manual or Greg
Lehey's book) and the default for bash wasn't static.. and I don't
see that on the bash1 port, so hm.. dunno, maybe I'm just not up to
date on this.  You did manually copy it to /bin, right?  Every time
I've installed the bash package or port it goes in /usr/local/bin.

Interestingly, a box where the bash binary package was installed
during initial install of 4.2-RELEASE does not list bash in
/etc/shells.  My latest 4.5-PRE box does list it there.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium