Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 17:16:47 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to deal with /var/log

Hi,

How does one deal with /var/log when installing ports? I know that Apache
writes to /var/log/httpd-access.log, but I don't think this file is removed
after deinstalling Apache.

In my quest of improving the Java ports for FreeBSD, I'm thinking about adding
symlinks from /var/log to /usr/local/orion1.4.5/log/.

My questions:

[a] How is /var/log usually dealt with in ports? Or how *should* it be dealt
    with?

[b] Is it allowed for a port to add files or symlinks in /var/log?

[c] If so, then how do I specofy these files in my pkg-plist?

Sincerely,

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
Java Architect

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ