Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 1995 04:29:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp), nate@trout.sri.MT.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What I'd *really like* for 2.0.5

> Then I counter with the opposite argument, I can't see what did not
> get found after boot if you remove the not found messages.  Right
> now I can use dmesg or look in /var/log/messages and see it, but if
> you remove those I would have no way to find out what I told it
> to probe for but it did not find :-(.

Now we're getting silly.  If your system works fine then you don't care.
If it doesn't work, then you'll go start thinking about booting with -v.

I don't need to grep through dmesg output to find that my primary SCSI
controller has not been found - that's generally pretty obvious to me
after a a minute or so! :-)

By contrast, the devices it typically doesn't find (the blend0 blender
driver and the god0 weather control device) are devices that I don't
have, will never have and further more could care absolutely less
about not having.

Everyone here is talking like hackers - we want to know what's in the
engine and how hot it's running at all times.  The majority of drivers
don't care one whit and just want to drive it down the freeway without
a christmas tree of lights blinking on the dashboard telling them
everything from the ambient outside temperature to the rotational
speed of each tire.

					Jordan