Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:29:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-database@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD v Linux

Doug Poland writes:
> I've followed others efforts to get Oracle/Sybase/Informix
> running on FreeBSD.  I'm curious to know if anyone actually
> is running these servers in a production role.  I know
> two Oracle consulting firms and they always recommend
> Unix and almost always recommend Linux.  There's no way
> they're going to put a paying client on an unsupported
> platform.  The risk is to high and there is no benefit.
> To the client and the consulting firm, it's just a box
> that runs Oracle.  BSD will never be that box if Oracle
> won't support it.

The thing to remember - the real point, which I did a good job of
hiding - is that there are two ways for a vendor to support BSD. One
involves creating another port, and doing all the work implied by
that. The other involves adding another "Linux distribution" to their
regression tests for the Linux port. The latter is liable to have a
lot less overhead than the former. It could be zero, if FreeBSD
replaces a Linux distribution.

My database needs are adequately met by PostGreSQL. However, my WP
needs aren't met by anything freely available, and I'm not
particularly happy with the one commercial offering for FreeBSD. I've
got the Linux version of FrameMaker running under emulation
(admittedly overkill of the order of commuting in a Formula 1
Ferrari), plan on purchasing it when it becomes available, and on
badgering them to make "FreeBSD Linux emulation" something they
support, because I figure that's more likely than getting them to
support a native FreeBSD port.

	<mike