Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:45:04 -0800
From:      "Mark VandeWettering" <markv@pixar.com>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Breathing New life into an Laptop

I picked up a small color laptop made by compaq at a recent swapmeet for a
song.  It has a 486dx/25, about 120 Mb of disk, and 12mb of ram.

I built a nice version of the dialup picobsd floppy for it, and it works great.
I use the lp0 interface to wire it up via laplink cable to my real desktop machine
and can use ftp and telnet.

A couple of things I'd like to fix though:

a) Booting from floppy.  While I don't have hoards of disk space, I wouldn't mind
   dedicating the necessary space for picobsd to be loaded from disk, which would
   be oodles faster.  I know long ago there used to be fbsdboot.exe, but I couldn't
   locate that anymore, and was unsure how it would work with the ELF kernel in anycase.
b) Once we are booting from hard drive, it makes some sense to expand the distribution with
   some other tools since we aren't as tightly limited on space.  I'd kind of like to have
   vi, and a couple of unix tools like grep.   I kind of envisioned these living inside an
   msdos file, and using the vnode stuff to create a filesystem for it.  That would enable
   you to make a fairly competent system.  You might imagine it possible (although on my
   machine it might be pushing it) to create a nice x-terminal using approach.

Thanks in advance..
	Mark

--
Mark T. VandeWettering 			Telescope Information (and more)
Email: <markv@pixar.com> 		http://www.idle.com/~markv/