Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 19:21:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some administrative questions FBSD/NIS/KERBEROS/NFS

Dear Sirs.
We are a small department at the Johannes Gutenberg University of
Mainz and at this moment I'm the responsible administrator around here
for our UNIX systems. Since I developed and built this computer facility,
we use FreeBSD on all backbone systems and now some desktop users seem
to prefer FreeBSD over Linux.

FreeBSD runs with a real great success here and although I had a lot of trouble
with several buggy parts of FBSD our problems were never more in quantity
than those several department of physiscs still have with their Linux
systems or our computing center has with Solaris and other operating systems.
NFS and NIS/YP runs in our small department and we try to use only core
software to build up the base part of our interconnected systems.

With the growth of the computer systems the lack of security aspects
became a 'hot-spot' in the past and now I wish to develop some
solutions. At this moment all of our main servers are interconnected
via NIS/YP and a main fileserver spread diskspace over to all machines
via NFS. There are only a few administrators which are capable to become
root on all machines, but the more people want their desktop machine
to be manageable by themselfs, the more I run into trouble.

One of the unsolved problems is that root within a NIS/YP domain can
gain access to each part of exported NFS filesystems and via su - USER
each local root is capable of gaining access to someones 'privacies'.
Our department of physics runs that way a Linux cluster - and this is
definitely not what We want to do!

I never dealt with KERBEROS 4/KERBEROS 5 but I was said that this
facility is capable to export NFS filesystems to other machines
and if the master Kerberos server which is und the administrative
control does not give a local user root privileges over an exported
filesystem, no one is capable of gaining access of NIS/YP accounts
via root privileges on a local machine having NIS/YP maps incorporated
(means in my bad English: a client is its local root and the machine
he uses is under its local root-control but this machine is part of the
NIS/YP domain. That means in the unprotected domain, that a local root
is capable of becoming each user he wants to be and access this way
NFS exported filesystems - and this is what I want to avoid).

I played around with sudo, but this is not the suitbale tool due to
the fact a local root on a cleint can 'override' this mechanism
as an easy excercise ...

I saw that NFS export options do have Kerberos options and FreeBSD
has HEIMDAL and Kerberos IV. I prefer HEIMDAL/Kerberos 5 but do not wish
to install the port (their are some export restrictions ...).
In the past, in the time of FBSD 3.X or FBSD 2.X.X there was a special
kernel option to make Kerberos a part of the system's base functions
(the man page of export still refers to this options). Does anyone has
experiences in doing this type of administering a big NIS/YP domain
using HEIMDAL or Kerberos 5?

And the essential question is: is Kerberos the right tool to do that what
I want?

Thanks a lot for your hints ...

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)