Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 15:02:28 -0500
From:      "Dru" <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        "Ghulam Dastgir" <banta@ghulam.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Getting User PPP working for FBSD 2.2.6

-----Original Message-----
From: Ghulam Dastgir <banta@ghulam.force9.co.uk>
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: November 8, 1998 12:52 PM
Subject: Getting User PPP working for FBSD 2.2.6

>Hi,

>I've followed the instructions on my online handbook and configured User
PPP. I'm a >typical home user with dynamically allocated IP addresses.

>Anyway, when I try to start a straight-forward ppp connection (I've not
included any >"auto" options etc yet) to my local ISP (by typing "dial ISP"
at the ppp prompt) I get a >host of error/warning messages like: add route
failed; 0.0.0.0:errno:network is >unreachable; DialModem:dial failed.

Are you sure you're using the latest version of ppp?  I had the same error
message until I downloaded the newest ppp from www.freebsd.org/~brian/ .  As
I obviously didn't have a working ppp connection yet, I downloaded it onto a
floppy from a non-BSD partition.  To install it (as here the handbook is not
idiot-proof), I did the following:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt                           to mount the floppy

mkdir -p /usr/ports/name-of-new-directory     to create a directory to
install to

cd /usr/ports/new-directory                               change to new
directory

tar xzvf /mnt/name-of-pkg-on-floppy                to unpack package from
floppy

cd /usr/ports/new-directory/name-of-pkg

make

make install

It worked like a charm.  PPP is up and running and I've made many more
packages while connected.  Now I just have to learn what to do with them:)

If this is not your problem, re-read the FAQ at
www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ160.html  and let me know how she goes.