Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:15:41 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Jonathan Fosburgh <jef53313@Bayou.UH.EDU>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /dev/pcaudio: cat: stdout: device busy

In the last episode (Feb 17), Jonathan Fosburgh said:
> The above error is what I receive when I try to cat a .au file into
> /dev/pcaudio.  The device is configured and spkrtest works, so I know that
> is not the problem.  The error leads me to believe that something is
> accessing the device, but I don't know how to determine that.  Can anyone
> help with this? I found nothing in the archives relevent.

/dev/pcaudio returns EBUSY if you try to open it twice.  It also might
return EBUSY if it couldn't acquire the two timers it needs.  You might
want to add some debugging to /sys/i386/isa/pcaudio.c and see what's
up.

If you think something still has the device open, see what "fstat
/dev/pcaudio" prints.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com