Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:11:10 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Michael G. Petry" <petry@NetMasters.Com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Sidcarter <sidcarter@symonds.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel not booting....Immediate crash

Thus spake Michael G. Petry <petry@NetMasters.Com>:
> I'm noticing the same behavior on a PPro system I have and am following
> the thread "SMP broken on PPro".  It looks like the problem is not SMP
> specific, but it does seem PPro centric.

I observed the problem on a PPro as well, but it is not specific
to PPros.  It will occur on any BIOSes (mostly older ones) that
use a small amount of memory right before the 640K mark.  The
problem is that the person who committed the broken change didn't
understand that you have to map this region into virtual memory if
you're going to call the BIOS in protected mode.