Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 17:13:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Rich Bornhofer <samurai@iosys.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hmm.. ftp and com 4..

Before we get too far here, what version of FreeBSD are you using?  2.1.5
doesn't support com ports >2 on the boot floppy due to video card
conflicts.

On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Rich Bornhofer wrote:

> Hello again.. ok, i felt stupid when i realized shortly after my last
> question that i could do a -c and set ports on and off.. so i set com 2
> disabled, and com 4 enabled.. I was given the option to PPP with com4
> then, but still was having problems. I went as far as disabling com2 and
> com3, and leaving the irq for com4 as -1 to have the probe resolve it,
> as my com2 and com4 both share irq 3, this had been futile as well.

Just disabling the offending port won't remove it's IRQ interference from
the system.  Redefine com4 using your system's BIOS to use a unique
interrupt.  If that's not possible, then reconnect the device on com4 to
use com2 or 1.

> Every time i go to the alt+f3 screen, i try things like set phone, set
> dial atdt, or some other junk.. even just 'term' right away, and i get
> NO response from my modem. *sigh*

Try doing 'show modem' and see what the device is set to.  It should be
'/dev/cuaa3' for COM4 (sio3).  If it's wrong, then use 'set device
/dev/cuaa3' to right it.

> i refuse to move my modem.. there has to be a way to get through..

I doubt it.  Anything above COM3 (sio2) is nonstandard in the IBM AT
specs, and if freeBSD doesn't like sio3, then FreeBSD doesn't like sio3.