Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 2014 16:37:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug <doug@fledge.watson.org>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: X11 setup ....

On Sat, 9 Aug 2014, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> On 08/09/14 12:03, doug wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Aug 2014, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>
>>>   .... I am following the instructions at
>>> [1]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.h
>>>   tml to get my newly installed xorg setup. I stepped through everything
>>>   up to the 'Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro' which didn't fail, bit
>>>   didn't behave quite like it was supposed to .... Machine is AMD Jaguar
>>>   Kabini based, quad core, 1.3 GHz, 25W, gfx on die:
>>>   Aug  9 10:23:34 kabini1 kernel: CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) 3850 APU with
>>>   Radeon(tm) R3     (1297.59-MHz K8-class CPU)
>>>   xorg detects it as: BoardName   "Kabini [Radeon HD 8280 / R3 Series]"
>>>   The above test is supposed to give a black & grey grid on the screen,
>>>   w/ an X-mouse. I have the mouse, & it moves around, although
>>>   click-&-drag does nothing, & I might have the grid, although it is
>>>   pixel-by-pixel, not finitely sized grid .... The troubleshooting page
>>>   is little help .... Am I good to go or not :-/ ? TIA ....
>>> --
>> Look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Errors are somewhat esoteric unless you know a
>> lot about X11 but they are clearly marked. You can subscribe to the X11
>>
>> You can see if you are good to go by trying startx.
>
> Thanks. My question was poorly articulated, should have been 'am I OK for
> XFCE ?' .... I plunged on & started XFCE, & it works mostly pretty good, but
> the gfx is definitely spotty, lotta flickering, background on desktop looks a
> bit dicey, window frames are granular & flickery. I just looked through
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log & there are *no* errors (no '(EE)'s) .... what now :-/
Ah - my desktop of choice. The X11 list might help. I excel at choosing PCs
whose video card are not supported. However flickering and worse in my
experience has meant driver errors. Have you tried the vesa driver? You will not
get the full use of the card but if that driver does not work it may mean
hardware issues. If you have a windows partition, it is good to test the
hardware.

I am afraid this one is above my pay grade :(