Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 20:56:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        grl@marconi.ih.lucent.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot mount CDROM

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996 grl@marconi.ih.lucent.com wrote:

> - Can I install from CDROM?

I sure hope so :-)  That is the absolute best way to go if your CD is
supported.

>   I'm tring to install FreeBSD 2.1 (from CD ROM) to an
>   HP Vectra with an IDE drive (Western Digital 1.6G).
>   I picked up the 2.2-960612-SNAP Boot floppy from the FTP
>   site and noticed that it does recognize my CDROM on boot.

Cool!  You're in luck.

>   The Hard Drive and CDROM are on separate controllers.
>   I never see the CDROM light come on (FreeBSD is in the drive)
>   and the boot says "media unknown."

That's OK, there's no CD in there.

>   Install allows me to select CDROM media without complaints but
>   when it tries to access it, the mount fails:
>
> 	Error mounting /dev/wcd0c on /cdrom - Input/Output error (5)

Hm, because there isn't any CD in the drive on boot.

> - Matrox and FreeBSD?
>   I have a Matrox Millenium video card and understand it is not
>   supported by FreeBSD.  Also heard that I can use X-Inside with
>   FreeBSD and this card to run X-applications. Is this correct?
>   I'll be using it to display X-applications on the PC at home
>   from the UNIX-Sun systems at work (via 28.8 modem/PPP for now).

The Matrox works great.  FreeBSD supports any standard video card with a
text mode.  :-)

Now Xwindows, on the other hand, doesn't.  Rather, XFree86 does not.
XInside, Inc, as you mentioned, DOES have a server for this card.  You'll
have to buy that one but it's an excellent package, so I hear.

X over modem will not be fun.  :(  Let's say it's not as snappy as your
local display.  It will work.

You might try to find the low-bandwidth servers (?) and see if you can get
them to interface to your Sun.