Date:      29 Apr 2000 02:20:31 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        dan@langille.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xchat depends

 * From: "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>

 * I'm comparing the contents of /usr/ports/INDEX with what I'm finding at
 * http://www.freebsd.org/ports/irc.html.  In particular, I'm looking at xchat.
 *  Both resources list libungif as a requirement.  But if you look at the
 * depends for libungif, you'll find this:
 *
 * $ make -V BUILD_DEPENDS -f /usr/ports/graphics/libungif/Makefile
 * libtool:/usr/ports/devel/libtool
 *
 * But libtool isn't listed in INDEX or the webpage.  How come?

I don't know about the web page but I can tell you about INDEX.  The
two dependency fields are "ports that need to be installed to compile
this port" and "ports that need to be installed to run this port",
respectively.  Basically if you have all ports in the first list
installed (either via ports or packages), you can build this port.
Ditto for the second list.

See (0) in
  http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk#rev1.300
for a more detailed explanation.

If you are building from a port, and don't have something in the first
list, the build may need to get additional stuff.  However, they
aren't needed for packages, so they are not in INDEX.

Looking at the webpage, it seems the two lists are just bunched
together.  That doesn't make much sense.

Satoshi