Date:      09 Dec 1998 10:54:20 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Pablo Quintana <quintana@netsys.hn>
Cc:        "amanda-users@amanda.org" <amanda-users@amanda.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brian Topping <topping@digidemic.com>
Subject:   Re: I screwed up with Amanda ./configure?

Pablo Quintana <quintana@netsys.hn> writes:

> I think I did something wrong, I ran:
> ./configure  --with-user=amanda --with-group=operator --with-tape-device=
> /dev/nrst0 --with-amandahosts --with-fqdn --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda --
> without-amplot
> Without having the user amanda in the operator group. Also I did'nt run it
> as root, is that bad? Can I delete the whole amanda directory and start
> again? I tar xvf the amanda tarball in /home/quintana/amanda/ , will that
> cause some trouble?
>
> I'm sorry for asking too much but my heart beats fast each time I issue a
> command, because this is a working mail server.

The "./configure" just operates in the source directory so if you've
got write privs there you won't need to be root. I usually configure
and compile as myself, then switch to root to "make install".

I think the configure will be OK without the user in the group, but it
won't install or run properly until you add the user to the group.

(FreeBSD used to *not* have user "operator" in group "operator" and
this screwed me up for quite some time until I realized it.)

Amanda rox!