Date:      Sat, 25 May 2013 01:29:09 +0300
From:      Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>
To:        Kenta Suzumoto <kentas@hush.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The vim port needs a refresh

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM, Kenta Suzumoto <kentas@hush.com> wrote:

> Hello all. The editors/vim port is currently a mess and needs some changes.
>
> - It fetches almost 700 patches from what seems like a dial-up connection in AUSTRALIA.
>
> You might as well be downloading a 1080p movie from a rock in the north pole, because that's about how fast it is.
> This can be very easily avoided by putting all the patches into a single tarball and hosting it anywhere decent. I've
> seen someone in ##freebsd on freenode handing out a tarball with all the patches many times, and everyone asks
> "why isn't this the default? why is some random guy giving me distfiles?" etc. Seems like a no-brainer.
>
> - By default, it builds lots of gui stuff that certainly almost no one wants
>
> It almost seems like the vim-lite port should be renamed vim and the vim port should be renamed gvim. I had to
> google to come up with this solution, because I can't even disable that stuff in "make config" (another problem!)
>
> .if ${.CURDIR}=="/usr/ports/editors/vim"
> WITH_VIM_OPTIONS=yes
> WITHOUT_X11=yes
> .endif
>
> People shouldn't have to find this hack to be able to install vim normally (and no, telling them to use vim-lite isn't normal).
> I'm surprised that none of these changes have been made yet. I've heard it's "because the maintainer won't listen to reason"
> but I have no way to know if that's the case or not. I also heard bapt@ had an optionsNG patch that he wouldn't
> integrate into the port for some reason. Please, let's get this stuff fixed once and for all. None of it requires a large amount
> of work on anyone's part.
>
> P.S. we're now at 7.3.1011 - the port could use a normal update as well. </minor complaint>
>
> - kenta

As far as I know FreeBSD does not roll custom distfiles because of
very obvious issues with authenticity of the files. If you create a
custom distfile from let's say editors/vim as you suggest then who is
going to trust you to provide authentic sources of someone else's
work? Now when everything is separate and downloadable and verifiable
individually from the upstream vendor there's no problem with
authenticity.

-Kimmo