Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 20:54:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, ports@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Change in the package hierarchy organization requested

>  * I ran into an interesting problem putting the packages hierarchy on CDROM:
>  * RockRidge definitely _does not like_ the `.packages' directory that
>  * everything lands in - it doesn't complain but the resulting CD is bogus
>  * with packages pointing nowhere.
>
> That's an interesting problem...that RockRidge thing (I assume it's a
> CDROM burner?) does the same to all the directory names that start
> with ``.''?  If so, I think you need to get that fixed, regardless of
> the package situation.... :<

I doubt this is a rockridge problem, it can handle that, it is probably
an ISO9660 problem.  Are you still using Young Minds to create the master
image with?  The problem is that you have to map long unix names to
legal ISO9660 names which are even more restritive than DOS (8.3, all
upper case, and you can't use as many of the characters as dos allows).

Also if I recall correctly ISO9660 says in the 8.3 the 8 part must start
with [A-Z0-9] and contain at least 1 character.  You probably quickly
overflowed what could be done to uniqify .package in 3 characters :-(