Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 14:55:08 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with -current ppp

> As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > Well, this is a one-user box, so that's not really a concern.  In any case,
> > > Brian informed me in private mail of a neat little trick to accomplish what
> > > I wanted.
> >
> > Tell me your IP address and the hours when you're generally on and
> > surfing.  I'll show you how "one user" that box is. ;-)
>
> Do you also accept the pathname of a local-domain socket, Jordan? :-)

The "publishable" bit about the "trick" was to set up a script (say
pppcmd) that's not readable/writable by anyone except you that does

#! /bin/sh
exec pppctl -v -p mypassword 3000 "$@"

You can then start ppp -auto, and talk to it with things like

$ pppcmd dial
$ pppcmd close
$ pppcmd set timeout 300
$ pppcmd show ipcp

Of course making this a unix domain socket makes it even tighter
(although on my LAN, I have many of these scripts that all talk to
the gateway, therefore I need the tcp socket).

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;