Date:      Fri, 14 May 2004 21:01:21 +0200
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, jmlewis@dslextreme.com
Subject:   Re: Natively Supported Notebook

> Does FreeBSD have any officially supported laptop?

This may be useful:

http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~dkulp/fbsd/laptop.html

And if/when you've decided on the laptop you want to get, it would be a goo=
d=20
idea to google around for the status of hardware support on FreeBSD, aswell=
=20
as ask here.

In my experience there is always *something* that doesn't work quite right =
on=20
non-MS operating systems when it comes to laptops. My laptop is a T40p whic=
h=20
works fine overall, but there are some quirks.

As for "officially" supported I don't know.

> First system =96 Current primary desktop
> Asus A7N8X Deluxe (nForce 2)
> XP 2500+
> Onboard LAN (unsupported)
> MSI nVidia Gforce4TI 4400
> 1GB Corsair memory
> 80GB Western Digital Special Edition(not that that is important)

This doesn't work? It seem normal enough to me. What problems have you had?

> Second System =96 Currently sitting on the floor collecting dust
> Abit A7n-MAX2
> ATI 9500 (I think it has been a while since I built that one. Did they
> make a 9500?)
> 512MB (Don=92t remember the brand of memory)
> 2 80GB Western Digital Special Edition(not that that is important)

Also seems pretty normal.

> Does anyone have a recommendation (other then a bullet) of a good system
> that I can continue to develop on (I know a notebook is not the best dev
> platform. But I spend so much time on the train with my commute the time
> is just wasted)?

Well, again the T40p *does* work for me (I used it as my primary system for=
=20
quite a while) but not perfectly. There are obviously many laptops that wor=
k=20
though. I think you may have better luck finding out how well things work i=
f=20
you focus on one or a few laptops that you have decided are the best choice=
s=20
for other reasons unrelated to FreeBSD hardware compatibility.

> So there is my scenario. I hope some one has a helpful suggestion. Heck I
> am willing to BBQ up the best ribs you have ever had to anyone in southern
> California willing to come over to help out (not likely I know)

Sorry, wrong country :)

=2D-=20

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org