Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:21:45 -0400
From:      Anish Mistry <amistry@am-productions.biz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        fbsdlists@gmail.com, duncan.fbsd@gmail.com, bobo1009@mailtest2.eng.ufl.edu, freebsd@meijome.net, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: Best way to print photos

--nextPart1869565.N5tSYomRvU

On Monday 03 April 2006 15:27, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> OK.  I got bordered photo printing working.  I haven't gotten
> borderless printing working, alas.
>
> The key points I learned:
>
> (1) Install print/cups.
> (2) Install graphics/hpijs.	This filters .ps -> goo the printer
> groks (3) Install graphics/gimp.	This makes .ps files
> (4) Kill lpr/lpd before starting cups.
> (5) Make sure you configure lpr/lpd not to startup on boot
> (6) Remove lp* binaries
> (7) Setup buildworld /etc/make.conf so it doesn't build lpr with
>     NO_LPR or WITHOUT_LPR
> (8) Add printer via localhost:631 web interface.
> (8) Set printer to draft mode via cups for testing
> (9) Use firefox to generate test prints.
> (10) To print from gimp, I have to remove the '-l' from the command
>      line every time I print in the printer setup.  This causes the
>      raw .ps file to go to the printer, rather than via cups'
>      postscript filter for the printer.
> (11) To get photos, one must set photo quality via cups setup
>      interface.
>
> #10 is was tripped me up for a long time.  That's why printing to
> the black and white printer worked for me (it was a postscript
> printer), while it failed to the color.  I hadn't noticed before
> that it printed the raw postscript and then lots of new lines.=20
> Since these newlines weren't accompanied by <CR>, all text was off
> the edge of the papper, all I got was a bunch of blank pages.
>
> #5 bit me on boot.  Since cups replaces the /etc/printcap
> unconditionally, when lpd started it failed to start.  I lost a
> bunch of print jobs before I worked out where they had gone and why
> things had gone south.
>
> I'd love to know how to print borderless prints (right now I get
> 1/4" (8mm) boarder on the prints).  I'd also love to know how to
> setup gimp correctly.  However, these are really side issues now
> that I have basic functionality working.
>
> Thanks to everybody who was helpful in getting me to this point.=20
> It got me over the hump.  My HP DeskJet 5850 is working great as a
> color printer with CUPS and my LaserJet 2200 continues to work like
> before.
>
> Now, all I gotta do is to figure out my OfficeJet 4200, at least
> the scanning portion...  But that can wait until my photo printing
> backlog is cleared...
I'm working on the scanning bit.  I've got a preliminary version of=20
hplip ported.
http://am-productions.biz/docs/hplip.tgz
I'm working on getting some feedback from the hplip folks about why,=20
GetInEP is returning a bogus endpoint in the Device::Read method. =20
The side-effect of this is not being able to read from the device=20
(eg. scanning, and status information).  Device::Write works, so I'm=20
able to at least print to my Officejet 5510v.  The key right now for=20
hplip, you have to run the printer as a ugen device not ulpt.
Currently in the port Device::Read is overly complicated because it=20
needs to handle it's own buffering since ugen doesn't buffer bulk=20
endpoints.

If you'd like to try to get it setup, you need to:
1) make sure your printer is attaching as a ugen device.
2) install the port using the linked skeleton above
3) Add the following to you rc.conf:
hpiod_enable=3D"YES"
hpssd_enable=3D"YES"
Note:  right now those daemons run as root, I'm going to change that=20
once everything is working, but for right now that was easiest.
4) Stop cups
5) You MUST start the services in the following order
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/hpiod start && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hpssd start=20
&& /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd start
5) Run hp-setup and follow the prompts.
6) You should have been able to print out the test page in step 5.  If=20
not, send the relevant parts of your syslog output.

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry
amistry@am-productions.biz
AM Productions http://am-productions.biz/