Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:19:10 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Greetings and Salutations

Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> writes:
> I started using Linux (I know, I know, FreeBSD is Unix)

FreeBSD is not Unix, although it has a better claim than Linux since it
is actually descended in direct line from Unix.  Unix (which is actually
spelled UNIX due to historical accident, but I can't bring myself to use
that spelling) is a trademark, and only OS releases that have been
certified as SUS-compliant by the Open Group may be referred to as Unix.
The certification process is expensive and time-consuming and must be
repeated for every new release - but that doesn't matter anyway, because
FreeBSD, as it is today, would not pass certficiation.  Ironically, most
Linux distributions are much closer to SUS compliance than FreeBSD.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no