Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 06:42:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        kpielorz@tdx.co.uk (Karl Pielorz)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with -current, SMP and multiple 'nice' processes?

> If I run the client again {as per RC5's instructions for SMP FreeBSD machines}
> the load average goes up to 2.0 (as I'd guess you'd expect), and the machine
> performs like a dog...

I think "maybe_resched()" doesn't work for SMP.  It is called by
wakeup().  It is checking curproc directly.

For now it probably needs to do an unconditional need_resched()
in the SMP case.

Note that there is a revised version on ftp.freebsd.org in
pub/FreeBSD/development/misc/PATCHES.sched.  It doesn't fix
this problem, but if someone is going to trace through things
I'd appreciate them working through that.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval