Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 2004 00:38:57 -0500
From:      jason <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        "Jeremy W. Sheaffer" <jws9c@cs.virginia.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD + OpenGL

Jeremy W. Sheaffer wrote:

>I just purchased an emachines laptop with an amd64 and an ati radeon 9600
>which is now running FreeBSD 5.3-BETA4 beautifully.  I need to be able to
>run OpenGL programs using, among others, the ARB_vertex_program,
>ARB_fragment_program, and ARB_occlusion_query extensions.  These are all
>part of OpenGL 1.5, which is implemented by the current version of Mesa,
>Mesa-6.2.  Xorg, as shipped with FreeBSD uses Mesa-5.1 as the renderer,
>so I upgraded from source to Xorg 6.8.1, which is current stable.  This
>uses Mesa-6.1, which *should* give me the functionality I need--but it
>doesn't.  glxinfo tells me my renderer version is OpenGL '1.2  (1.5 Mesa
>6.1)'.  So I manually replaced the Mesa subtree in Xorg with Mesa-6.2.
>6.2 is primarily a bugfix upgrade, but I hoped.  I also went through the
>Mesa source and made certain that all conditionally compiled code that
>involves the extensions I need are built, and then rebuilt Xorg.  Still no
>dice.  Version string is '1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.2)', and the extension I need
>are not being exported.  I'm not certain that this is actually a FreeBSD
>question, but it touches on three different systems, so I thought I would
>try here first.  Does anyone have any experience with programmable
>graphics under FreeBSD.  I realize, of course, that the drivers aren't
>there to really support my card--I could care less if I get acceleration!
>Mesa exports the functionality in software, and I need to be able to use
>it.  Any suggestions?
>
>Jeremy

Using OpenGL depends on 3 things: program support, os, drivers.  FreeBSD
does not have the newest port of Mesa, but you can get around that
easily enough.  Ofcourse your software would have support.  This leaves
drivers on FreeBSD.  I know for a fact the drivers are getting a little
old, but I am not capable of updating them.  Here is an example(not that
everyfile need to be days old to support what you have):
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/drm/radeon_cp.c ->9
months, 4 weeks ago
http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dri/drm/shared/radeon_cp.c
->10 days, 23 hours ago

Thats just half of it.  Forget about anything over the R200 core(radeon
8500, the low 9000s are just variations on the R200 and work too) if you
can not use the precompiled ati linux drivers.  I hate to say it, but go
to linux or windows since that is what you need to get yor work done.  I
recommend Gentoo, its very BSD like.