Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 2015 18:01:54 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>, FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /etc files

On 30/08/2015 16:36, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> I notice several files in my /etc directory whose filenames end in ':'.
> Are these system files ? If not, can I usefully delete them :-) ? TIA &
> have aq nice weekend.

Highly unlikely, but you can check by fetching base.txz from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/9.3-RELEASE/ and having
a look at what would install in /etc. Getting the release tar files is a
useful trick, I also use it to build jails.

--
Those who do not learn from computing history are doomed to
GOTO 1