Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2006 02:16:53 -0400
From:      "David Stanford" <dthomas53@gmail.com>
To:        "adrian esquivel" <adrianesquisi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help installing FreeBSD

> I've got a Maxtor of 60GB as primary master. My geometry is wrongly
> reported
> by the installation program, it reports a geometry of 119108/16/63 while
> the
> BIOS reports one of
> 1024/240/63.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is a  long-time bug in the installer.
I've installed several times seeing this error and never had a problem.
However, to be safe you could always manually specify the geometry of your
disk in the fdisk utility during install.

I think this has nothing to do since I'm planning to have
> FreeBSD as the only OS of the machine, but you never know...
> These errors are shown just after I leave the partition editor, when they
> give the warning of making Back ups. Then the 'Writing partitions; message
> is shown and then the last one that says: "Unable to make new root
> filesystem on /dev/ad0s1a! Command returned status 36"

I'm confused. At what point are you pressing Alt-F2? There isn't any point
during the installation, that I can think of, that requires you hitting
Alt-F2. Though, in reference the short error message above, I would first
recommend verifying the checksum of your ISO and then reburning it - start
with the simple things :).

-David
--
[root@fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.