Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:32:36 -0400
From:      Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   root passwd

Eek! I forgot the root password!

Well, actually I didn't forget it, I set it, but then the system sorta
crashed and now it doesn't recognize it anymore. So I went to the FAQ
and it said to do this:

(boot up in single user mode)

mount -u /
passwd root
mount -a
exit

i have two things about this:

a)it doesn't work -- i get a "passwd not found" command -- anything I
can do except reinstall from scratch? (full system from FTP -- i'd
rather not :-)

and

b) if it DOES work -- itsn't it a serious security issue that anyone
with the access to the FAQ (which is every literate person in the
world!) can get root password? i know that it's probably not, but i
would just like to be explained WHY not, if possible.

Thanks again!

Roman.