Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 21:13:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      A boy and his worm gear <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        bob@luke.pmr.com (Bob Willcox)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I remove hard links between directories?

Of all the gin joints in all the world, Bob Willcox had to walk into
mine and say:

> Help!  An apparently buggy version of afio that I was running has
> created some hard links between a couple of directories on my system
> (2.1-STABLE) and I need to get rid of them.  Unfortunately rmdir
> simply complains that the directory is not empty (use counts on
> these two directries is 4 rather than 2).  Can someone please tell
> me a way to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Bob Willcox
> bob@luke.pmr.com (or obiwan%bob@uunet.uu.net)
> Austin, TX

I can think of one admittedly ugly way to fix this: use clri to zap
the inode associated with this troublesome directory, then run fsck
to pick up the pieces afterwards. You should probably use ls -i to
find the right inode number, then unmount the filesystem and use
clri to blow the offending inode away. Then you can use fsck to fix
the resulting mess and remount the filesystem.

Make sure you get the right inode number or you'll make a bigger
mess then you'll fix. :)

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager
License error: The license for this .sig file has expired. You must obtain
a new license key before any more witty phrases will appear in this space.