Date:      Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:38:01 -0000
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Takeharu KATO <takeharu1219@ybb.ne.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MCE on AMD64

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Takeharu KATO wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thank you for your response.
> > There is little or no MCE support in either i386 or amd64 kernels.  The code
> > in i386 has never even been tested, because CR4.MCE was never actually turned
> > on.
> >
> Appearantly, my AMD64 box turn on MCE feature in the CPU.
> I will start to try to write MCE feature support functions.

Make sure you test your code on a Rioworks HDAMA-based AMD64 if you get
the chance. I turned on MCE on our 2.4.25 Linux i386 kernels and they
trapped during the boot.  Apparently there's something goofy with that
board (or Opteron 244 processors?) and MCE.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org