Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:33:50 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where can i find a startup log

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:12:56PM +0100, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> Andreas Wider=F8e Andersen wrote:
> >At 15:53 19.02.2003 +0100, you wrote:

> >>I hope this isn't a FAQ - i have been using FreeBSD for some years now.
> >>My question: Where can i find a log of all the startup messages that=20
> >>flash by so fast that i can't read them? Not the kernel messages, but=
=20
> >>daemons that fail to start and such.

> >Type: dmesg or do a # more /var/log/messages

> This only gives me the kernel messages, but not the messages from the=20
> daemons (i.e. sendmail failed and stuff like that)

Edit /etc/syslog.conf and uncomment the console.info line so that is
looks like this:

    # uncomment this to log all writes to /dev/console to /var/log/console.=
log
    console.info                                    /var/log/console.log

Then:

    # touch /var/log/console.log
    # chmod 600 /var/log/console.log
    # chown root:wheel /var/log/console/log
    # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`

This will record all of the console output from syslog or the kernel,
as well as the boot messages you are interested in, the next time you
reboot.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20