Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 22:46:11 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv MPEG recording

Richard Tobin:
 |I tried some MPEG recording from fxtv, and encountered a few minor
 |problems.  I was using fxtv-0.48 under FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE.
 |
 |(1) In tvaudio.c, after SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT, the value is checked to see
 |    that it worked (parm != parm_new).  But the sound driver (snd/sound.c)
 |    has this code:
 |    So when setting the record format, the returned value is the play
 |    format, which is zero (as suggested in the comment), so fxtv thinks
 |    the ioctl sample format is not supported.  The driver code looks
 |    bogus to me, but I just hacked fxtv to not check.

You're using Luigi's pcm driver.  pcm differs from voxware in this
behavior.  Luigi addressed this on the list when it came up before.

 |(2) The fxtv README says that mplex is not used by fxtv, but it is.

Thanks.  I've bumped it up into the top list.

 |(3) The fxtv README mentions an envoronment variable MPEG_AUDIO for
 |    dist10, but it's really MPEGTABLES.

Thanks again.  Hmmm.  I wonder if it used to be MPEG_AUDIO or if I just
goofed.  Anyway, it's fixed.

 |Apart from these problems, I was very impressed with how well it worked.
Glad to hear it!  Have fun!

Randall