Date:      31 Aug 2005 10:00:49 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        robert@webtent.com
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: broken getopt

Robert Fitzpatrick <lists@webtent.net> writes:

> On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 14:25 -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > Robert Fitzpatrick <lists@webtent.net> writes:
> > > Aug 29 11:11:10 esmtp postfix/master[67333]:
> > > warning: /usr/local/libexec/postfix/pipe: bad command startup --
> > > throttling
> > > Aug 29 11:11:51 esmtp postfix/master[67333]:
> > > warning: /usr/local/libexec/postfix/local: bad command startup --
> > > throttling
> >
> > Why do you think this is a getopt problem?  It looks a problem in a
> > configuration file.  Check "postconf -n".
> >

> Thanks, what makes you think that?

Well, "bad command startup" implies something of the sort.  getopt
problems *could* cause problems interpreting startup configuration,
but there are many other possibilities.

I'm not really an expert on Postfix, but at least I do have access to
a copy of "The Book of Postfix."  Which tells me very little for this
case except that maybe running the post-install script might be
advised.  However, that script can edit some config files, including
main.cf, so be very careful if you use it.

>                                    Here it is with only my networks
> altered, maybe something needs to be adjusted since the last upgrade? I
> went through the release notes and did the portupgrade from 2.1 to 2.2,
> perhaps the TLS support changes are effecting something?

Possible, but I wouldn't expect failures until after startup.

> esmtp# postconf -n
> body_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/body_checks
> command_directory = /usr/local/sbin
> config_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix

This means that main.cf is in the /usr/local/etc/postfix directory,
while the body_checks map file is in /etc/postfix.  Is that right?

For testing, you might want to simplify your configuration to see if
the errors go away.

Good luck.