Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:10:41 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@hiwaay.net>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.Org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: wdX: reverting to PIO mode reading fsbn 0 (status 51<rdy,seekdone ,err> error 84<badblk,abort>)

Christopher Michaels wrote:

> Here's my situation.
>
> FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE as of some time last month.
> FIC VA-503+ Motherboard.  VIA MVP3 Chipset.
> AMD k6-2/300
> 128MB EDO Ram.

> wd0: UDMA/66 capable 10.2GB Western Digital Harddrive
> wd1: UDMA/66 capable 20.2GB IBM Deskstar.
>
> The flags on the controller is 0xa0ffa0ff.
>
> When I boot the system with UDMA mode enabled in the BIOS I get the
> following 2 error messages.
>
> wd0: reverting to PIO mode reading fsbn 0 (status 51<rdy,seekdone,err> error
> 84<badblk,abort>)
> wd1: reverting to PIO mode reading fsbn 0 (status 51<rdy,seekdone,err> error
> 84<badblk,abort>)

> Does anyone have any insight into this at all?

FWIW, I get the same error. I just noticed we have the same CPU, and the
same chipset on the motherboard. Do you have a UDMA/66 motherboard? Mine
is only /33 capable, and I only had the error when attempting to
bad-block scan the whole drive (single partition, type 165) using
bad144. I have not experienced any data loss...
--
Kris Kirby
<kris@airnet.net> | <kris@nospam.hiwaay.net>