Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:11:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ron Andreasen <free_bsd_newbie@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need install help please

I just recently got FreeBSD 5.0 and I can't get it to
install.  When it's listing my devices in the very
beginning it does fine untill it hits my HP CD-Writer
Plus 9100i.  Then it just freezes.  Not even an error
message.  If version 4.6 I at least got a "non-ATA66
cable or device" error, and I fixed that by changing
the PIO on that drive from Auto to Mode0.  This
doesn't work for 5.0 though.

I have tried the following commands in vain:

set hw.ata.ata_dma="1"
set hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
and set hint.foo.0.disabled

I also tried the other PIO modes with no luck.  I
tried changing the access mode from Auto to LBA, CHS,
and Large.  I'm outta ideas now.  Here's my ide setup:

Primary Master - IBM 40 gb hard drive
Primary Slave - Liteon CD-Rom
Secondary Master - Maxtor 20 gb hard drive
Secondary Slave - HP CD-Writer Plus 9100i

My BIOS is "Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG" and my
motherboard is a Jetway 603TCFL with Pentium III 1.1
ghz and via chipset.